Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 1983, First Lady Nancy Reagan welcomed Queen Elizabeth ll and Prince Philip to 20th Century Fox for dinner in her majesty's honor. Dinner was catered by Chasen's. The starter course was Papaya with Bay Shrimp, followed by the main dish of Chicken Pot Pie and a side dish of Fresh Spinach with Bacon. Dessert was Toasted Coconut Snowball , Chasen's Coupe Snowball Dessert, and Demitasse. Wines served were Clos Du Bois and Saintsbury Pinot Noir. Historic information and menu from the Los Angeles Public Library, archive of old menus.
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup baby carrots, trimmed, quartered, boiled until almost tender
- 1 cup green peas, thowed
- 1 cup new potato, quartered and boiled until almost tender
- 1⁄4 cup white pearl onion, blanched
- 1 pastry dough, for a 9-inch one-crust pie
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
CHICKEN CREAM SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Place chicken, onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper in a dutch oven, cover with water.
- Cover and bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken and cool.
- Strain broth and set aside to use in Chicken Cream Sauce.
- CHICKEN CREAM SAUCE:.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour.
- Stir in the broth and cream all at once.
- Cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer 2 minutes more.
- Mix in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat.
- POT PIE:.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Discard bones and cut chicken into medium size pieces.
- Place chicken pieces evenly in a bake-and-serve dish.
- Sprinkle with quartered carrots, peas, potatoes and pearl onions.
- Pour the Chicken Cream Sauce evenly over filling.
- Crust will be used on top of pie only.
- Place pie dough over filling, crimping edges, trimming at the edge of the pan if necessary.
- Cut a few slits in the pastry to allow for steam to escape.
- Beat together egg yolk and water; brush mixture on crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbley.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.