1 hr 15 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
In 1983, First Lady Nancy Reagan welcomed Queen Elizabeth ll and Prince Philip to 20th Century Fox for dinner in her majesty's honor. Dinner was catered by Chasen's. The starter course was Papaya with Bay Shrimp, followed by the main dish of Chicken Pot Pie and a side dish of Fresh Spinach with Bacon. Dessert was Toasted Coconut Snowball , Chasen's Coupe Snowball Dessert, and Demitasse. Wines served were Clos Du Bois and Saintsbury Pinot Noir. Historic information and menu from the Los Angeles Public Library, archive of old menus.
My Private Note
9- inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup baby carrots, trimmed, quartered, boiled until almost tender
- 1 cup green peas, thowed
- 1 cup new potato, quartered and boiled until almost tender
- 1/4 cup white pearl onion, blanched
- 1 pastry dough, for a 9-inch one-crust pie
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
CHICKEN CREAM SAUCE
- 1Place chicken, onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper in a dutch oven, cover with water.
- 2Cover and bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer covered for 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 3Remove chicken and cool.
- 4Strain broth and set aside to use in Chicken Cream Sauce.
- 5CHICKEN CREAM SAUCE:.
- 6Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the flour.
- 7Stir in the broth and cream all at once.
- 8Cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat, simmer 2 minutes more.
- 10Mix in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12POT PIE:.
- 13Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 14Discard bones and cut chicken into medium size pieces.
- 15Place chicken pieces evenly in a bake-and-serve dish.
- 16Sprinkle with quartered carrots, peas, potatoes and pearl onions.
- 17Pour the Chicken Cream Sauce evenly over filling.
- 18Crust will be used on top of pie only.
- 19Place pie dough over filling, crimping edges, trimming at the edge of the pan if necessary.
- 20Cut a few slits in the pastry to allow for steam to escape.
- 21Beat together egg yolk and water; brush mixture on crust.
- 22Bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbley.
- 23Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chasen's Chicken Pot Pie (A Dish Fit for a Queen)
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.8
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 245.6 mg
- Sodium 603.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 52.5 g