Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This makes a nice buffet dish for a special party. It had been served as a side dish at Chasen's Restaurant (now closed) in Beverly Hills.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apples or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Slice carrots one inch thick and steam until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or food processor.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- In a saucepan, cook onion in 1/3 cup butter over medium heat until tender, but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt and nutmeg and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in milk all at once.
- Add brown sugar and cook,stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend mashed carrots and apple juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in large mixing bowl at high speed until fluffy but not dry.
- Beat egg yolks slightly in small bowl.
- Blend small amount of hot carrot mixture into yolks.
- Stir yolk mixture into carrot mixture.
- Gently, but throughly fold yolk mixture into whites.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and gently smooth surface.
- Bake until puffy and delicately browned, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.