Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in an old cookbook I was given some time ago and thought this sounded awesome. A little work but oh...SO worth the effort! Cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, chilled
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup bakers sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon bakers sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint french vanilla ice cream, softened (the best quality you can afford)
- 2 very ripe bananas, cut into very thin slices
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
To assemble shortcake
- 2 -3 tablespoons dark rum
- 4 small ripe bananas, sliced plus 1 banana, thinly sliced
- hot fudge sauce, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 12 individual charlotte or cake pans.
- In large mixing bowl of electric mixer on high speed, cream butter with the sugar until pale and fluffy for approximately 5 minutes.
- Scrape bowl down often. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Continue beating on high speed for 6 minutes while frequently scraping down the sides of the bowl. Set aside.
- Resift flour with salt and baking powder. Add flour to cream mixture using lowest speed of the mixer. When incorporated, add cream. Beat only until blended.
- Place cake pans on baking sheet and divide the batter equally. Bake on the center rack 25-30 minutes or until toothpick interted in middle of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes on a wire rack in pans; remove and place right side up on cooling rack until completely cooled.
- For the whipped filling beat or whip the cream until stiff; fold in sugar and vanilla.
- Set aside (chill).
- For the banana sauce, toss the banana slices with the rum. Set aside. Whip the cream with sugar and vanilla until stiff. Fold softened ice cream into the whipped cream.
- Fold in the macerated bananas (with the rum) into the whipped cream mixture.
- To assemble:.
- Slice each cake horizontally into two equal layers. Place cake tops upside down on dessert plates. Poke or prick each cake with fork and drizzle with the rum. Spread chilled whipped filling generously on top of cake. Place a single layer of bananas to cover filling. Cover with more filling and top with the remaining cake layer. Spoon a dollop of filling on top of cake. Chill.
- When ready to serve, place remaining banana slices on top of the cake. Spoon on the Banana Sauce and Hot Fudge Sauce.