Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found a recipe for Bread Upma in the latest issue of the Weekend magazine. However, I modified it and made it this way for breakfast this morning. My mom and me simply loved it. This was so easy to put together and was ready in no time. What I adore about this recipe is that all the ingredients that are called for in this recipe are present in every kitchen! I have decided to treat my dad to this awesome easy and tasty breakfast when he returns home next weekend from India. I am sure he will love it as much as mom and me did. This is a good snack for college students or those who got to rush for work early in the morning. I am dedicating this to My Special Someone, Sai, Who I Love So Much because he is always in a hurry to log off when we chat, when the clock strikes 8:30am for him(4:30pm for me) as he got to rush to college! LOL;)
- 3 slices fresh white bread
- 1 small onion, peeled,washed and chopped
- 1 green chili, washed,de-seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 sprig of fresh curry leaf (about 10-12)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3⁄4 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Remove the edges of the bread slices and start munching on them while you get started with this delicious breakfast treat.
- Cube the bread slices and keep aside.
- Then heat oil in a pan.
- Toss in the mustard seeds once the oil is hot.
- Allow to splutter.
- Once the seeds stop spluttering, add ginger, onions, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry until the onions turn golden brown, the raw smell of the ginger is gone and the aroma of the curry leaves starts wafting through the air in your kitchen.
- This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Mix in salt.
- Now, very gently, add the bread slices to the pan.
- Sprinkle some water over the slices.
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Cook, uncovered, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix well.
- Serve immediately (hot).
- Enjoy the wonderful flavours of the lemon juice and the curry leaves, together with the sauteed onions and the crispy bread slices!