Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Although another charro beans recipe has been posted, this is another version that is popular in Mexico.
- 1 lb black beans, presoaked
- 1 1⁄2 quarts boiling water
- 200 g bacon
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 sprig epazote
- 1 small jalapenos or 1 small serrano chili, raw, seeded, and finely sliced
- 1⁄2 lb pork rind, in small pieces
- 1 sprig cilantro
- Cook the beans, strirring occasionally, in the boiling water until when squished between two figers they skin opens. If you need to add more water occasionally, it should be very hot. since cold water will toughen the beans.
- Add salt to taste 10 minutes before turning off flame.
- Take away from flame and set apart.
- Brown the bacon in hot cooking oil and add to it the onion and garlic.
- Add to the bacon sauté the beans along with the epazote sprig. Let it come to a boil, and then add the chile and the pork rind.
- Check seasoning and serve hot.
- Garnish each served bowl with cilantro.