Recipe by little_wing
The caramelized tomatoes and tequila really give great flavor to this. Use as little or as much jalapeño as to suit your tastes. You can use the grill instead of the broiler to char the tomatoes if desired. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup minced white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack about 6 inches from broiler and preheat.
- In a shallow pan, char the tomatoes, turning once, until blackened and soft (about 20 minutes total) and cool.
- Core the tomatoes but do not peel, and chop coarsely.
- In a food processor, pulse together the tomatoes with any juice, the onion, garlic, tequila, lime juice, pepper and salt to desired smoothness.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Stir in cilantro just before serving.