Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The caramelized tomatoes and tequila really give great flavor to this. Use as little or as much jalapeño as to suit your tastes. You can use the grill instead of the broiler to char the tomatoes if desired. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (about 1.5 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup minced white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Position rack about 6 inches from broiler and preheat.
- In a shallow pan, char the tomatoes, turning once, until blackened and soft (about 20 minutes total) and cool.
- Core the tomatoes but do not peel, and chop coarsely.
- In a food processor, pulse together the tomatoes with any juice, the onion, garlic, tequila, lime juice, pepper and salt to desired smoothness.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Stir in cilantro just before serving.
I just made this. Added chipotle as well as the jalepeno and a couple tomatoes that were not charred. Hasn't chilled yet but the taste test was very good!
I prepared this dish for ZWT3 Mexico Gadgets Challenge. DH & I loved this salsa! The flavors were strong and smoky. I roasted the jalapenos along with the tomatoes. I think the big difference between this salsa and others is the addition of the tequila, which I used a high quality tequila. This is going into my "Favorites" cookbook. I highly recommend this salsa! Thanks Little Wing!