Recipe by Sharon123
Serve with steak, chicken, fish or whatever pleases you! Adapted from Cooking With Onions, Favorite Onion Recipes. The Spanish, Greeks and Italians all use red onions extensively. Also popular in the Southwest, West and the South!
Top Review by NELady
I liked this salsa, flavor is better the day after. My hubby didn't like the olives (I used black), but I didn't mind them. A nice change from the traditional tomato salsa we are used to. Thanks! Made for Newest Tag Game, 2/8/09 - NELady.
- 3 medium red onions, skin on, halved (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 cup whole pitted black olives or 1 cup green olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (packed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onion halves cut sides down in shallow pan.
- Bake at 425*F for 30 minutes or until onions are slightly soft when squeezed and their cut sides are blackened.
- When cool enough to handle, remove onion skins and trim stems.
- Place onions in a food processor with olive oil, vinegars and red pepper flakes.
- Process in two or three 2-second pulses or until coarsely chopped.
- Add olives and oregano and process 2 to 4 seconds just until chopped.