Recipe by mary winecoff
These tomatoes are quickly cooked on a hot grill with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh herbs. This recipe came from Bon Appetit (August 2008).
Top Review by Debbwl
This is summer! Fresh heirloom tomatoes and fresh herbs simply prepped who could ask for anything more? Made as written cutting recipe down to one very large tomato as there was just the two of us. The cook time was perfect for bring out the flavors with out being over cooked or mushy. Thanks so much for the post.
- 6 large tomatoes, about 10 ounces each, heirloom is best, cored and cut horizontally in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, on rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then 1 1/2 Tablespoons each oregano and thyme leaves. Drizzle with 3 Tablespoons oil.
- Prepare barbeque (medium-high heat). Brush grill with oil. Place tomatoes, cut side up, on rack. Cook until bottoms are charred 3-4 minutes. Turn tomatoes over and grill just to sear, about 1 minute. Turn cut side up onto platter. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon each oregano and thyme, then drizzle with more oil, if desired. Serve warm.