Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Charoset is served at the Passover seder. This recipe is originally found in the "Cucina Ebraica" cookbook. Times are guesstimates.
- 2 cups dried chestnuts, cooked in water to soften or 2 cups fresh-cooked shelled chestnuts
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped pitted prunes
- 1 1⁄3 cups raisins
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sweet passover wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, to blend the flavors, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Serve at room temperature.