Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
from Canadian Living
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken all over. Transfer to plate.
- Drain fat from pan; fry onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cinnamon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in stock and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits.
- Return chicken and any juices to skillet; reduce heat, cover and simmer, turning chicken once, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 20 minutes.
- Add coriander, parsley and lemon juice.
- Make-ahead Option : Before adding the coriander, parsley, and lemon, let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Slow Cooker Charmoula Chicken: Do not remove skin. After browning chicken, transfer to slow cooker. Continue with recipe, omitting flour and scraping stock mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Skim off any fat. Whisk 1/3 cup (75 mL) water with 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour and whisk into slow cooker; cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove skin if desired. Stir in coriander, parsley and lemon.
This is very flavorful chicken! I made it with b/s chicken thighs; I had 5 so there was more sauce which was perfect. I think I would prefer a little less cumin, but other than that it was great. Made for ZWT6 NA*ME.
This is so good with so many great flavors!! My picky DD especially liked this ( even though I had to debone it and get anything she thought was "icky" off!). Thank you!! ZWT6- Xtra Hot Dishes-