Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Simple and decadent--give it a try.
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate or 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, plus
- 1 teaspoon extra unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided in half
- powdered sugar, as needed
- Melt butter and chocolate and then let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and flour a springform pan with chocolate cocoa for added flavor or Pam spray could also be substituted for the flour.
- Beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the chocolate mixture.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy and add other 1/2 cup of sugar and beat to soft peaks and then fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour mix into springform pan and place in water bath. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool on rack.
- After cake deflates, invert on plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve and enjoy.
I used dark chocolate and this was decadent. It was easy to make and I have some leftover for today - YUM. Thanks for sharing Auntie Jan. Made for My3Chefs Nov '09.