Recipe by Charmie777
I created this recipe after looking at several similar recipes, and not finding exactly what I wanted. This is easy and delicious!!
Top Review by DrGaellon
I used challah bread with raisins (since it's Rosh Hashana and it's everywhere). I sliced it last night and left it on a rack to dry. I didn't have enough strawberry preserves, so I mixed half strawberry and half cherry. I used low-fat cream cheese and added a splash of half-and-half just to loosen it up. It made WAY more filling than I needed for 8 slices of bread (four sandwiches), but that's okay, because it's YUMMY. I added a spoonful of powdered sugar, and only used a splash of half-and-half (maybe 2-3 tbsp) instead of the milk with the eggs, and still spilled a little down the drain. I ate it as is; DBF still wanted syrup.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 -12 slices egg bread
- additional powdered sugar
- sliced strawberry, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, strawberry preserves and powdered sugar until smooth.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Spread cream cheese mixture thickly on one side of one piece of bread. Top with another slice of bread. Cut in half.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Dip both sides of sandwich half in egg mixture and fry in melted butter until golden brown on both sides.
- Place on serving dish and sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries.
- You can also serve with maple syrup and whipped cream, if desired.