Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came about after making mac and cheese for my kids over the years and whittling down several recipes to fit our likes. It's gooey goodness, without being too greasy, with a nice crunchy top. You can use macaroni noodles or any tube shaped pasta. I love it with small rigatoni pasta.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 16 ounces pasta, cooked and drained
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a small skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and saute for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Add flour, salt, mustard and pepper whisking together for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn heat off and very slowly whisk in milk, and then hot sauce (if using).
- Turn heat back on to medium and cook, whisking frequently, until thick and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar and jack cheeses (reserving a small amount).
- Add the cooked pasta (this is why you need a large pot) and stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 pan. Top with remaining grated cheese and then with reserved bread crumb topping.
- Bake at 375º for 25 to 30 minutes.
- If you want it extra crunchy, run under broiler for just a few minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes or so before serving.
Yum! This was so cheesy and saucy - not dry at all which can sometimes happen with baking. I halved the recipe and also added tomatoes on top. Next time I might increase the breadcrumbs but otherwise perfect!
Yum, Charmie, this was great, real comfort food! Love the mustard and the hot sauce, lends a tangy bite that really works for me!!! I used lots of cheese, used the small pasta shapes as you recommended, and loved the buttery breadcrumbs! I sliced some cherry tomatoes and layered them on top, because my husband likes tomato in his mac 'n 'cheese! Lovely recipe, thank you, made for International Agents of Quest, USA Southern region