1/3 Photos of Charmie's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe came about after making mac and cheese for my kids over the years and whittling down several recipes to fit our likes. It's gooey goodness, without being too greasy, with a nice crunchy top. You can use macaroni noodles or any tube shaped pasta. I love it with small rigatoni pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 16 ounces pasta, cooked and drained
- 1Preheat oven to 375º.
- 2In a small skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese and saute for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3In a large pot or dutch oven, melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter. Add flour, salt, mustard and pepper whisking together for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4Turn heat off and very slowly whisk in milk, and then hot sauce (if using).
- 5Turn heat back on to medium and cook, whisking frequently, until thick and the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar and jack cheeses (reserving a small amount).
- 7Add the cooked pasta (this is why you need a large pot) and stir to combine.
- 8Pour into a greased 13x9 pan. Top with remaining grated cheese and then with reserved bread crumb topping.
- 9Bake at 375º for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 10If you want it extra crunchy, run under broiler for just a few minutes.
- 11Let set for 10 minutes or so before serving.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charmie's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.1
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 1116.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 28.5 g