Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Duff Goldman's Charm City Cakes.
Make and share this Charm City Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, finely shredded and packed into the cups
Cream cheese icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a medium bowl using a hand mixer, whip the eggs until they thicken and ribbons form when the beater is lifted, 3 to 5 minutes. Slowly add the oil and vanilla extract to the whipped eggs.
- Gently fold the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients to form the batter; it may feel a little thick. Add the shredded carrots and gently but evenly fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into two (8-inch) round pans lined with parchment. Bake until the cakes are puffed, golden and set, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Rotate halfway through for even baking. Remove and set aside on racks to cool before unmolding.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until well blended and lightened in texture. Beat in the vanilla until blended.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until the icing is smooth and spreadable, then frost the cake.