Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has been passed down from my grandmother to my mom and now to me. It is one of our family's favorites at Christmas time. We like to serve it warm out of the oven with butter spread on top.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour bread/loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In another mixing bowl, combine orange juice, shortening and egg. Add this mixture to your dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Mix until well incorporated. Lastly, fold in the walnuts and cranberries being careful not smash the berries.
- Pour mixture into a bread/loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool bread for 15 minutes before removing from loaf pan.
I have been looking for another whole cranbbery bread recipe, I had one but lost it. It was wonderful since the cranberries burst as the loaf bakes. I look forward to trying this recipe as it seems very similar to the one I lost. Thanks!!
I was fortunate enough to be on the receiving of these from Goochie137!! They were a really pretty presentation in the little loaves and the whole cranberries really made the bread!! Thank you!
I made this to give to a friend. I made the recipe as directed. My only chage was to bake it in mini (smaller then the small pans) pans. The recipe fit exactly in 8 loafs. I only baked them for 40 minutes, which next time I will cut back to 35 minutes. I lined each loaf with a paper liner and then put in a cellophane and tied with a ribbon. I did have a very small taste and it was quite tasty. Thank you for sharing your recipe.