Recipe by Red Apple Guy
Taken from an Alabama cookbook "Calling All Cooks" this is my wife's casserole that pops up on Thanksgiving or Christmas. It's a family favorite.
- 3 cups crookneck yellow squash (about 2 pounds, sliced and cooked with water)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded before measuring)
- 2 cups cracker crumbs (we like saltines)
- 3⁄8 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook squash and onion and drain well before measuring.
- Add butter, salt, pepper, celery salt and milk.
- Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of squash mixture to the beaten eggs and stir to warm the eggs.
- Mix together all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into greased casserole dish and bake at 375 F for about 40 minutes.