Recipe by ccferne
My mother's recipe. She always used a very low fat ground round; otherwise the bacon makes it too heavy. This is a little bland, which is appropriate for comfort food. If you make it spicier, it'll probably be very good, but it won't be like Charlotte's.
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (5 ounce) canbroiled in butter mushrooms
- 1 (30 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice bacon and fry till crisp. Add onion and saute till lightly browned. Add ground round, crumble with a fork, and brown quickly.
- Add seasonings, mushrooms, and beans. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Pour into a shallow baking dish and top with corn bread mix prepared according to package directions.
- Bake at 450 degrees until top is browned and cornbread tests done.