1/5 Photos of Charleston Yellow Squash Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Even though my family doesn't really like ssquash, they LOVE this casserole and often request it instead of potatoes! It's secret ingredient, nutmeg, adds a really different flavor combination that is a real people pleaser! It freezes well, so I always keep one on hand for potluck suppers or picnics. The original recipe, which I have modified to be lower-fat, came from "Entertaining at the College of Charleston", by Zoe D. Sanders
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (do not omit this secret ingredient)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (1 cup) or 4 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters) or 2 whole eggs
- 16 saltine crackers or 16 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1Mix cheeses together and set aside.
- 2Steam squash and onions for 10 minutes or until tender.
- 4Add 1-3/4 cups of cheeses and all other ingredients (except paprika) together.
- 5Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish (9x13x2-inch).
- 6Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- 7Just before baking, sprinkle top with paprika, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
- 8***This freezes beautifully.
- 9Defrost/thaw before baking.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charleston Yellow Squash Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.0
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 879.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 11.7 g