Even though my family doesn't really like ssquash, they LOVE this casserole and often request it instead of potatoes! It's secret ingredient, nutmeg, adds a really different flavor combination that is a real people pleaser! It freezes well, so I always keep one on hand for potluck suppers or picnics. The original recipe, which I have modified to be lower-fat, came from "Entertaining at the College of Charleston", by Zoe D. Sanders
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (do not omit this secret ingredient)
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (1 cup) or 4 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters) or 2 whole eggs
- 16 saltine crackers or 16 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Mix cheeses together and set aside.
- Steam squash and onions for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add 1-3/4 cups of cheeses and all other ingredients (except paprika) together.
- Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish (9x13x2-inch).
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Just before baking, sprinkle top with paprika, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
- ***This freezes beautifully.
- Defrost/thaw before baking.