Comfort food from the Atlantic coastal South. Sometimes pronounced "perloo", recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry bacon until crisp; remove and cook onion in bacon fat until translucent.
- 2Add tomatoes and rice; mix well, cover and heat to boiling point.
- 3Lower heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to prevent sticking.
- 4Set in a warm place where there is no danger of scorching for another 20 minutes to allow the rice to become fluffy.
- 5Add shrimp and bacon; place in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charleston Shrimp Pilau
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.2
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 115.2 mg
- Sodium 116.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 18.2 g