Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
Comfort food from the Atlantic coastal South. Sometimes pronounced "perloo", recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons onions, peeled and minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked and peeled
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove and cook onion in bacon fat until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and rice; mix well, cover and heat to boiling point.
- Lower heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork to prevent sticking.
- Set in a warm place where there is no danger of scorching for another 20 minutes to allow the rice to become fluffy.
- Add shrimp and bacon; place in a casserole dish and bake at 350F for 15 minutes.