This is pure southern soul food. Its been made for generations in my family since the early 1900's. Every area of the south has a version of red rice but I saw that Zaar did not have a recipe quite like this one. I cannot get enough of this southern delight and thought you might like it as well.
- Fry bacon and remove from the pan:.
- Saute'onions and peppers in the bacon grease;.
- Add tomato paste water salt sugar and pepper.
- Cook uncovered slowly about 5 minutes and then add the rice another 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly then pour into the top section of a rice steamer or you can use a very large Pyrex dish.
- Pour mixture in and add the sausage and crumble up the bacon and mix into the rice mixture.
- Cover and bake for 35- 45 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees or steam in steamer.
- I bake it now days but the family recipe says to steam it.