This is pure southern soul food. Its been made for generations in my family since the early 1900's. Every area of the south has a version of red rice but I saw that Zaar did not have a recipe quite like this one. I cannot get enough of this southern delight and thought you might like it as well.
- Fry bacon and remove from the pan:.
- Saute'onions and peppers in the bacon grease;.
- Add tomato paste water salt sugar and pepper.
- Cook uncovered slowly about 5 minutes and then add the rice another 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly then pour into the top section of a rice steamer or you can use a very large Pyrex dish.
- Pour mixture in and add the sausage and crumble up the bacon and mix into the rice mixture.
- Cover and bake for 35- 45 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees or steam in steamer.
- I bake it now days but the family recipe says to steam it.
I made this dish today and my family loved it. I was born and raised in Charleston and this dish felt like home. Loved it!!!
Tastes just like the Charleston red rice I grew up with! The only thing I changed about this recipe is that I remained cooking it on the stove top and it still came out wonderful.
This was so good - loads of flavor and finishing off the dish in the oven produced great texture in the rice. DH likes spicy dishes but this had way too much heat for even him. We put in only one of the two tablespoons of black pepper and found that we'll have to cut that back to 1/2 a tablespoon next time we prepare this (whimps). Great stuff! Thanks Recipe Barnoness :)