1/2 Photos of Charleston Red Rice
1 hr 20 mins
Recipe Baroness's Note:
This is pure southern soul food. Its been made for generations in my family since the early 1900's. Every area of the south has a version of red rice but I saw that Zaar did not have a recipe quite like this one. I cannot get enough of this southern delight and thought you might like it as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry bacon and remove from the pan:.
- 2Saute'onions and peppers in the bacon grease;.
- 3Add tomato paste water salt sugar and pepper.
- 4Cook uncovered slowly about 5 minutes and then add the rice another 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly then pour into the top section of a rice steamer or you can use a very large Pyrex dish.
- 5Pour mixture in and add the sausage and crumble up the bacon and mix into the rice mixture.
- 6Cover and bake for 35- 45 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees or steam in steamer.
- 7I bake it now days but the family recipe says to steam it.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charleston Red Rice
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.5
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 1639.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked beef sausage