Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An easy, crowd-pleasing breakfast casserole with a crouton and Cheddar cheese base. This recipe calls for bell pepper and bacon, but you can have fun playing with the ingredients to dress it up or down, depending on the occasion.
- 12 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups croutons
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Melt butter in the microwave, or in a small pan on the stove over low heat.
- Spray a 9x12 inch baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Place croutons in the bottom of the dish, and drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisking to break up the yolks.
- Add milk, peppers, mustard, salt, and pepper, and beat until well-combined.
- Pour over the croutons and cheese, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.