Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A smell of a big ole breakfast casserole cooking can quickly assemble everyone in the kitchen. This is great for a weekend breakfast or overnight guests and is sure to not only please, but impress too.
- 12 slice bacon
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 709.77 ml croutons
- 473.18 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 414.03 ml milk
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- 118.29 ml green onion, chopped
- 226.79 g mushrooms, sliced
- 14.79 ml prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Saute the pepper and mushrooms in a bit of the bacon grease until tender.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt butter in the microwave, or in a small pan on the stove over low heat.
- Spray a 9x12 inch baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Place croutons in the bottom of the dish, and drizzle with melted butter.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add milk, crumbled bacon, peppers, onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and mix until well-combined.
- Pour over the croutons and cheese and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes to an hour, until the eggs are done.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.
I really enjoyed this. I only made 1/4 of the recipe and it was plenty for 2. Lots of flavor and texture. This would be great for a family brunch. I will make this again. Made for ZWT III.
I cooked half the quantity as a substantional brunch for two and it was a fantastic start to the day. Wonderful combination of flavours and the quantity of milk gave it a perfect texture that wasn't too heavy. I also liked the idea of the crouton base which held it together nicely.