Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My husband makes this ahead of time for a night when we'll both be late getting home for supper. Reheat and eat w/ some buttered tortillas.
- 1 cup posole (dried or frozen hominy)
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken base or 2 teaspoons bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb diced pork
- salt and pepper
Red Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot red chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Combine posole, water, chicken base or bullion, garlic, and oregano in a 3-4 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat to simmer for 2 hours. **As you may lose water while the posole absorbs it and some evaporates, be sure to check occasionally that enough water remains in the pot to just cover the posole, adding water as needed.
- After posole is cooked, add pork and cook an additional 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chili sauce, 1 teaspoon at a time to your bowl until desired heat is obtained.
- Serve with warm buttered tortilla.
- Chili Sauce:.
- Combine powdered red chili, water, garlic, and salt in 1 quart sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 30 minutes.