Recipe by Mercy
The Brie dressing may be made ahead of time and then gently reheated just before serving.
- 8 ounces ripe brie cheese, chilled
- 3 heads romaine lettuce or 3 heads lettuce or 1 lb spinach, stems removed
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced shallots or 4 teaspoons green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove rind from chilled Brie with a sharp knife; reserve rind for another use.
- Cut cheese into small pieces and allow to come to room temperature.
- Wash greens in cold water.
- Tear into bite-sized pieces; dry in salad spinner or clean towels.
- Warm oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add shallots or green onions and garlic; cook over low heat until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and several grindings of pepper.
- Add the cheese a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- When all the cheese is melted, toss hot dressing with greens and croutons.
- Serve immediately, and pass the pepper mill.