Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
One of the advantages of living in a home away from home is that "you" can control exactly what goes into your food and accordingly help better your health. I'm trying to do just that since the last few days. This is one such recipe I created and my dad and I enjoyed it for dinner with rotis (chapatis/Indian flatbreads). It can also be served with white long-grain Basmati rice and plain yogurt. It's tasty and yet low-fat AND it smells soooooooo nice when it's cooking, and when you take it to the dinner table and open the pot, it smells mmmm - tantalising! Enjoy! Bon Appetite!
- 1 tablespoon pure wesson canola oil
- 1 medium potato, washed,peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 small potatoes, washed,peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 2 medium indian green chilies, washed,ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 4 small green bell peppers, washed,de-seeded,caps removed,the rest of the bell peppers should be cut into 1/4 inch pieces (capsicums)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 large tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Heat oil in a pot on medium flame.
- When it's hot, lower flame and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Allow the seeds to splutter and crackle in the hot oil.
- Once they stop doing that, add ginger, garlic, onions and green chillies to the oil.
- Mix well and stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone and the onions are softened.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and corriander powder.
- Mix well, then add the chopped tomato.
- Stir-fry 6 minutes.
- Mix well, then add the cubed potatoes and chopped bell pepper to the pot.
- Mix well, add salt and 1 1/2 cups of water and allow the veggies to cook on medium flame for 20-25 minutes or until the veggies are tender, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- Serve hot with rotis/rice and plain yogurt.