Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my specialities and a favourite with my family.
Ingredients for the Kadhi
- 500 g plain yogurt, beaten
- 3 -4 tablespoons gram flour
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 3 -4 green chilies, washed, ends trimmed and slit
- 2 -3 garlic flakes, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 15 fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 5 -6 whole red chilies (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 4 cups water
Ingredients for the Bhajiyas
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 4 teaspoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- oil, to deep fry
- water, as required to knead
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Following is the method to prepare the Punjabi kadhi:.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Allow to crackle.
- Once it stops crackling, add red chillies, if required and stir-fry briefly.
- Fold in the torn curry leaves, ginger, garlic and green chillies. Mix thoroughly. Stir-fry until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- In another bowl, mix together yoghurt, gramflour, red chilli and turmeric powders alongwith 4 cups of water.
- Add the ginger and garlic stir fried mixture to the yoghurt mixture. Boil for a few minutes.
- Lower flame and cook on simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with long grain Basmati rice and Punjabi Masala Papads and mango pickle if you like.
- Following is the method to prepare the Bhajiyas:-.
- In a wide-mouthed bowl, knead together all the dry ingredients with water.
- Shape into bhajiyas and deep fry in hot oil in a wok.
- Drain on clean kitchen paper towels.
- Add to the Punjabi Kadhi or serve as a plain snack with tea.