Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I enjoy making this for my family and friends on weekends and for dinner parties. Enjoy it!
- 500 g penne pasta
- 8 liters water, to cook the pasta
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 -6 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 3 pinches salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- tomato ketchup, to taste
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated to garnish
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Saute onion and garlic in the oil till the onion is transparent and the raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and spices. Cook on low heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a teaspoon of salt.
- Cook pasta in water that should contain a good dash of salt (3 pinches). Cook, stirring often, until cooked al dente i.e. until the pasta has got just a slight bite to it.
- Chef's tip: The pasta is ready when it's no longer hard in the middle.
- Caution: If you don't use enough water, the starch from the pasta leaches out into the water and starts turning to glue - this results in the pasta getting stuck together.
- Drain the pasta, shower with cold water, and place it back in the pot.
- Add the onion-tomato-garlic-spice mixture to the drained pasta.
- Now mix in the Tomato ketchup (Heinz brand is the best) to taste. Toss pasta in the ketchup to coat it well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top with freshly grated cheese.
- Serve hot with Marinara sauce.
Its missing wine and panchetta. Thats the Italian way