Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this rice dish tonight when we had very close friends come home it being the weekend and holiday season. Everyone loved this aromatic and slightly spicy rice and I must for sure double this the next time(which will be very soon) I make this. This rice, alongwith yogurt, makes excellent lunch when you want to have a "one dish meal". The real pleasure of this dish will be known yo you if you have it as finger food, it is really good!
- 1 cup rice, washed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 green chilies, chopped (I use 1 large and 1 small)
- 1 1⁄2 cm ginger, peeled and chopped
- 5 spring onions, chopped (both whites and greens)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves, powdered
- 2 green cardamoms, powdered
- 1 cinnamon stick, powdered (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 spring onions, chopped,to garnish
- Wash the rice, soak it in water for 30 minutes and keep aside.
- Powder the cloves and cardamoms and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add ginger and garlic.
- Saute till lightly browned and the raw smell of the ginger and garlic is browned.
- Add the green chillies and spring onions.
- Saute for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, every 30 seconds.
- Add the mint and corriander leaves and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the powdered spices and mix well to get a wonderful aromatic mixture.
- Add in the drained rice, salt and water.
- Stir well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower flame, partially cover and cook till all the water has evaporated and the rice is cooked.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions.
- It looks really beautiful.
- Serve hot with a delicious dollop of yogurt or a raita for a wonderfully satisfying meal.