Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
I made this this evening for a chef! He's a friend of my dad's and came home for the first time today. He enjoyed this immensely and when I told him it's my own, he sure was IMPRESSED! Try it!
- 8 cups water, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 250 g succulent un-ripened dried apricots (the ready soaked variety which can be eaten straight out of the packet)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 3 cups water and sugar in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add apricots, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add essence and stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Place apricot mixture in a blender.
- Process until you get a thick yummy sticky mixture; adding a little water to process, as and when necessary.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour 5 cups chilled water in a pitcher.
- Now, take a large sieve over the pitcher and add the sticky apricot mixture, slowly over it; and keep stirring while you do so.
- You will see the apricot mixture's liquidy content trickle down into the pitcher and the thick sticky part remain in the sieve.
- Empty the thick sticky part into a bowl and keep aside.
- You can use this as a topping over cooked white rice (steaming hot rice), or you can use this as a marinade over chicken, or as a dip, or as a topping over chicken salad, or even on a pizza- use your imagination!
- Stir the apricot sherbet that's in the pitcher very gently; careful that it shouldn't spill, or you'll have alot of stickiness in the kitchen to clean up and nobody likes that.
- Close the lid of the pitcher.
- Carefully, put the pitcher in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.