Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a delicious pulao which we enjoy at home with Subru uncle's Sai bhaji recipe (posted separately). You may enjoy this with vegetarian raita or dahi boondhi and papads.
- 1 cup long grain white basmati rice
- 2 medium sized onions, peeled, washed and sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 -6 whole black peppercorns (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves and green cardamoms. Stir-fry for 20 to 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to crackle on low-medium heat.
- Fold in the onions and stir-fry until browned.
- Add red chilli powder, salt, rice and water.
- Mix gently and bring to a boil.
- Once the rice comes to a boil, lower heat and allow to cook, partially covered, until all the water has evaporated.
- Serve hot with Sai Bhaji, dahi boondhi and Sindhi papads.