Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple, yet sophisticated side dish. From "The 1000 Best Recipes" cookbook.
- 2 eggplants
- 1 3⁄4 lbs sweet potatoes
- 4 zucchini
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 1⁄4 lbs button mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 fresh basil leaf
- Cut eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. Place on a wire rack, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices, and the zucchini into 1/2 inch slices lengthwise.
- Quarter the peppers, remove seeds and membranes and chargrill skin-side-down, until the skin blackens and blisters. Place in a plastic bag and leave to cool. Peel away the skin.
- Brush the eggplant, sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms with oil. Barbecue in batches until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Mix the vegetables with the dressing. Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Return to room temperature before serving.