Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
Tips: If you don't have olive oil cooking spray, brush vegetables with oil. Use a small bunch of rosemary dipped in oil as a brush. Variation: Other vegetables suitable for this recipe include potatoes, sweet potato and flat mushrooms. Cut them into even-sized pieces so they take the same time to cook. Source: Super Food Ideas - April 2007 I think you could probably grill (broil) the vegies if you don't have a chargrill pan, and I think I'd like some onion in my pie, but it's up to you!
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 400 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 1 red capsicum, quartered
- 1 yellow capsicum, quartered
- 2 large zucchini, halved crossways, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 2 sheets frozen premade puff pastry, partially thawed
- 150 g feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220°C
- Preheat your chargrill pan over high heat until hot. Spray both sides of all vegetables with oil (see tip).
- Chargrill pumpkin, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Remove to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside (this completes the cooking).
- Chargrill eggplant, capsicum and zucchini, in batches, for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until tender.
- Remove to a board and peel any black skin from capsicum and cut into thick strips.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut shortcrust pastry in half and place both pastry pieces on lined tray.
- Top 1 pastry piece with half the chargrilled vegetables, leaving a 5mm border along both long ends.
- Sprinkle with half the feta.
- Then add the other half of the vegetables and feta to the other shortcrust pastry sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 puff pastry sheet over each pie and press pastry edges together to seal.
- Trim excess pastry, then brush pie tops with cold water, sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Score pie tops at 1cm intervals and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and puffed.