Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here is a salad that uses Dukkah (pronounced 'do -kah') which is an Egyptian blend of coarsely ground nuts and spices. This recipe came from The Culinary Chase Blog. I will post the seasoning recipe separately, but for this salad you will need about 1 tablespoon of dukkah to sprinkle on at the end with the feta. Use your favorite vegetables and when the weather is warm, fire up your BBQ to grill the vegetables and pita bread instead of in your hot kitchen! Please use flat leaf parsley-curly is too bitter.
- 12 inches fat-free whole wheat pita bread
- 2 large zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 red bell peppers, halved, deseeded and cut into 2cm thick slices
- 16 ounces eggplants, trimmed, quartered lengthways
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon dukkah (or to taste)
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 200 C or (390 degrees?).
- Place the pita bread on a large baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Set aside to cool.
- Break into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large chargrill on high.
- Combine the zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook one third of the zucchini mixture in the chargrill for 3 minutes each side or until tender and lightly charred.
- Repeat, in 2 more batches with the remaining mixture.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, honey and remaining oil in a large bowl.
- Add the zucchini mixture, parsley and mint and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad among serving bowls,.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of dukkah (or to taste) and feta.
Wonderful dish! I love grilled vegetables, and this blend was perfect. The only change I made was to use gluten free flat bread. For the dukkah I used Dukka - Egyptian Spice Blend for Bread Dipping or Topping and my feta was goat's milk feta. We enjoyed this dish very much, and I'll make it again. Thanks for sharing :)
Made for Visit Egypt / N*A*M*E* Forum.