Recipe by French Tart
My recipe for Chargrilled Asparagus & Spring Onions with Chive Flowers is simple and yet a painting on the plate with its mauve chive flowers, grass green asparagus and spring onion stems. It is the perfect accompaniment to any grilled meats or fish, especially salmon, and also makes a wonderfully tactile summer “sharing platter” for an “al fresco” lunch or supper.
- 12 large spears asparagus, trimmed
- 12 spring onions, trimmed
- chives and chive blossoms, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a griddle pan over a very high heat and add the olive oil – place the asparagus spears & spring onions in the pan, being careful that the oil does not spit and burn you.
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes on one side, depending on the thickness and then turn over and continue to cook for a further 2 to 4 minutes. You are aiming for charred, but not burnt!
- Just before the end add the Balsamic vinegar and a little more oil if needed.
- Serve straight away with chopped fresh chives and chive flowers sprinkled over the top, and a lemon wedge per serving.