Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I sometimes struggle to come up with innovative & seasonal vegetable accompaniments; this recipe was devised when I had about 4 leeks left after making Leek & Potato soup, and about half a glass of Chardonnay!! It's a cross between poaching & steaming them in the Chardonnay, you don't want too much liquid. When you are ready to serve the leeks, add your creme fraiche & seasonings and you have an elegant & easy vegetable side dish! Try and use thin leeks rather than the tougher & larger leeks. Measurements are based on 4 people - I have allowed one leek per person, based on the fact that there will be other side dishes & maybe potatoes served as well.
- Wash the leeks thoroughly and trim of the very tough green tops and the woody base.
- Make sure you have some of the green as well as the white of the leeks.
- Cut the leeks into 1" diagonal slices.
- Put into a large saucepan and add the Chardonnay or white wine.
- Add the sugar and stir around.
- Bring to the boil, without a lid.
- Turn the heat right down, put the lid on and simmer very gently for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the leeks still hold their shape & colour, but are soft. (Cooking times vary on whether the slices are 1" or smaller/larger!).
- Add the creme fraiche, pepper & salt and mix gently.
- Serve with some chopped parsley as a garnish, making sure everyone gets some of the wine & cream sauce!
- N.B. Grated lemon is also very nice as a finishing touch, especially if you are serving it with fish.
What an excellent side dish. Creamy, rich in flavor. Just wonderful. I made them for a lady I cook for, but had to taste them myself. I plan to make this for just myself very soon!
Thank you FT
This was delicious!!! I absolutely ADORE leeks & these were fabulous! Thanks you, Karen!
This was a very tasty way to use up my leeks after making my Vichissoise.I make this for the The Art of Cooking with French Spirits - ZWT3. I only added 1/4 cup of Chardonnay and it was fantastic.It gives the leeks flavour that makes it really special.I'm so happy to find a new way of enjoying leeks.If you read the book(French Women don't get Fat)that is one of the food she tells you to eat. Thanks for posting. Rita