1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Delicious and hearty stew. Goes great with a caesar salad and fresh baked bread. If not eaten within several hours of being made the stew will darken to a muddy brown as the mushrooms, especially the portobellos, loose their juices. The color change really isn't very attractive, but if you don't mind it, the stew does reheat well. It will retain it's flavor after being stored for up to 6 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup Chardonnay wine
- 1 cup rich chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, divided
- 1 cup instant rice, prepared according to box directions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 lb shiitake mushroom, destemmed & caps quartered
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 lb cremini mushroom, quartered (Italian brown mushrooms)
- 1/4 lb portabella mushroom, halved & sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- 1In a dutch oven or stockpot, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over med-high heat; sauté chicken with dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, until golden brown (8 minutes).
- 2In a small bowl, soak dried porcinis in boiling water until soft (15-20 minutes).
- 3Remove chicken to a plate.
- 4Pour in the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any bits of chicken left in the pan.
- 5Return the chicken and add the stock, 1/4 teaspoon each tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- 6Cover pan, and let simmer over med-low heat until chicken is tender (25-30 minutes).
- 7Remove the porcini from their soaking liquid, and squeeze them out over the bowl to remove excess liquid.
- 8Strain soaking liquid and reserve.
- 9Rinse porcini to remove any sand or grit; then chop.
- 10In a large skillet, melt butter with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil; sauté the shiitake mushrooms, over med-high heat, for 2 minutes.
- 11Add the shallots, the cremini, and the portobello; cook, tossing often, until lightly browned (2-3 minutes).
- 12Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon tarragon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, the lemon juice, and the cayenne pepper.
- 13Add the porcini and reserved liquid, and let boil, stirring constantly, until liquid is reduced by half (1-2 minutes).
- 14Scrape the contents of the skillet into the dutch oven and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 15Blend the cornstarch into the cream until smooth; stir mixture into the stew.
- 16Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- 17Garnish with parsley and serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chardonnay Chicken & Wild Mushroom Stew
Serving Size: 1 (615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 720.9
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 180.9 mg
- Sodium 1096.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 55.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried porcini mushrooms