1/1 Photo of Chard With Black Beans
1 hr 5 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
This is adapted from a recipe in “Wild About Greens” by Nava Atlas, changed to make it more in keeping with a Nutritarian eating style… You can reduce prep time by using frozen onion and mushrooms and jarred garlic. If you can't find kalamata olives, you can use green salad olives.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ounces chard leaves, chopped (either red or green)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and roughly chopped (rinse if packed in oil)
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1Chop chard and set aside. I like to cut it into crosswise strips, then cut the strips into 2 inch pieces.
- 2Chop olives and check for pits. Combine with almonds, black beans and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- 3Prepare onions, garlic and mushrooms.
- 4Coat a large covered non-stick skillet or dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil and add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook covered, stirring frequently until soft, adding small amounts of sherry as needed to prevent sticking.
- 5Add rest of sherry and as much chard as will fit. Cover and allow chard to wilt. Keep adding chard and mixing frequently until all has been added.
- 6Stir in olives, almonds, black beans and red pepper flakes.
- 7Cook the mixture uncovered over medium high heat, stirring frequently for about 5 to 7 minutes until everything is heated through and chard is tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chard With Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.7
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 435.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium black beans