- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs swiss chard, leaves and stems separated and chopped
- 2 medium leeks, halved lengthwise, light green and white parts sliced 1/2-inch thick (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen baby lima bean
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in chard stems, leeks, carrots, celery, and nutmeg. Cook 7 to 9 minutes, or until vegetables release juices but are still brightly colored, stirring often.
- Add broth, barley, and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add lima beans and chard leaves. Simmer 10 minutes more, or until lima beans are tender.