1/1 Photo of Charcoal Maker’s Vermicelli (Vermicelli Alla Carbonara)
Vermicelli pasta with a pasta sauce from ham, bacon, onion, mushrooms, eggs and cheese. Extremely rich and filling I bought a copy of a book, Massey’s Food and Wine Index when I was in the Navy. It had no recipes just descriptions of dishes, flavors, and basic ingredients. I used it and memories of Spaghetti alla Carbonara and other Itallian pastas to make-up this variation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices cooked ham, cut into fine juliennes 1/8-inch x 1/4-inch max
- 4 slices bacon, finely diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 8 ounces vermicelli
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2Place a couple of quarts of water in a large pot. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic salt and onion salt and bring to a rolling boil. Add vermicelli, allow it to return to a boil then reduce to simmer for eight to nine minutes.
- 3When a string of the cooked, vermicelli flung at the porcelain steel refrigerator door adheres to the door without dropping to the floor, the pasta is “al dente” (ready). Empty into a collander to drain, then place on the plate.
- 4Coordinate with sauce to bring both to completion immediately before serving.
- 6Place 4 Tbsp olive oil and butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add ham, bacon, onion and mushrooms and sauté until onions are translucent. Sprinkle grated cheese over contents of saucepan and allow cheese to melt into a layer covering ingredients with oil bubbling through in places.
- 7While pasta is draining, remove pan from heat and stir in eggs. Continue to stir until well mixed. The hot oil, butter, onions, mushrooms, ham, and bacon will cook the eggs perfectly.
- 8Immediately place the pasta on the plate and top with the Carbonara sauce.
- 9Serve with sliced tomatoes on a bed of lettuce with oil and vinegar dressing.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Charcoal Maker’s Vermicelli (Vermicelli Alla Carbonara)
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.0
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 175.4 mg
- Sodium 229.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese