Recipe by docholliday
Vermicelli pasta with a pasta sauce from ham, bacon, onion, mushrooms, eggs and cheese. Extremely rich and filling I bought a copy of a book, Massey’s Food and Wine Index when I was in the Navy. It had no recipes just descriptions of dishes, flavors, and basic ingredients. I used it and memories of Spaghetti alla Carbonara and other Itallian pastas to make-up this variation.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Absolutely delicious, we love carbonara, its my daughters favourite, and this is a particularly rich and filling one. Liked the addition of mushrooms. I used linguini, simply because I prefer it. This is a total comfort meal, equally good for family or for guests!!! Really enjoyed this, thank you docholliday, made for PAC Spring 2012
- 2 slices cooked ham, cut into fine juliennes 1/8-inch x 1/4-inch max
- 4 slices bacon, finely diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 8 ounces vermicelli
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a couple of quarts of water in a large pot. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic salt and onion salt and bring to a rolling boil. Add vermicelli, allow it to return to a boil then reduce to simmer for eight to nine minutes.
- When a string of the cooked, vermicelli flung at the porcelain steel refrigerator door adheres to the door without dropping to the floor, the pasta is “al dente” (ready). Empty into a collander to drain, then place on the plate.
- Coordinate with sauce to bring both to completion immediately before serving.
- Place 4 Tbsp olive oil and butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add ham, bacon, onion and mushrooms and sauté until onions are translucent. Sprinkle grated cheese over contents of saucepan and allow cheese to melt into a layer covering ingredients with oil bubbling through in places.
- While pasta is draining, remove pan from heat and stir in eggs. Continue to stir until well mixed. The hot oil, butter, onions, mushrooms, ham, and bacon will cook the eggs perfectly.
- Immediately place the pasta on the plate and top with the Carbonara sauce.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes on a bed of lettuce with oil and vinegar dressing.