Recipe by Is This Really Necessary
A light (but not very healthy -- lots of cholesterol) dish. Goes great with boiled potatoes. Can be made with either green or white asparagus or a mixture; when using white asparagus only use young, thin shoots. Use a cast-iron griddle for best results, or alternatively a barbeque. Stainless steel griddles won't work as well.
- 4 eggs
- 8 black olives, pitted
- 3 gherkins
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (for the asparagus)
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for the sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Hard-boil the eggs and chop. Chop the olives roughly. Chop the gherkins.
- Cut off the ends of the asparagus and put in a shallow bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; rub so all stalks are well coated with the oil/salt/pepper mixture.
- Toss eggs, olives, gherkins, capers, olive oil in a bowl and use a fork to mix. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat griddle on medium heat; gently cook the asparagus until soft and lightly coloured. Serve with the sauce.