Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: local newspaper
Top Review by UmmBinat
Pretty good but they are very soft consistency, a few broke when I flipped them. I used good quality tomato paste instead of chopped tomatoes, ground beef instead of lamb, a bit of cayenne pepper powder instead of red pepper flakes as that is what I had on hand, freshly ground black pepper, to taste, sea salt, to taste, no green chillies as we don't like very spicy, homemade gram flour (ground chickpeas to flour in a spice mill), plus the rest of the ingredients, including the optional fresh pomegranate seeds garnish. We still prefer, recipe#424152. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
- 2 bunches scallions, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons coriander
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and then ground into a paste
- 1⁄3 cup grams flour (or breadcrumbs, ground)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- pomegranate seeds, optional garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In the center of a large kitchen towel combine first 3 ingredients (scallions - tomatoes). Squeeze gently over the sink to remove excess water and then place vegetables in a large bowl.
- Stir in next 12 ingredients (lamb - eggs). Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Form meat into 12 patties.
- Slice tomatoes into 12 slices and then press 1 tomato slice into the top of each patty.
- Heat the oven to broil.
- In and oven-safe skillet over medium high heat heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until hot.
- Working in batches, slice patties into pan with tomato side up and cook for 2 minutes and then flip patties and place skillet under broiler for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer patties to a paper towel lined plate. Cover with foil and keep warm while cooking remaining patties, using additional oil per batch if needed.
- To serve, place kebabs on a platter and sprinkle with additional cilantro and pomegranate seeds, if desired.