Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
So titled because the presentation looks like a beautiful hat! From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. If you wish, substitute peas for the green beans and accent the "hat" with asparagus spears slipped into toast rings.
- 1 cauliflower, cooked until just tender
- 1 lb green beans, cooked until just tender
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and cooked until just tender
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley or 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, buttered
- 1 cup mushroom, sauteed in butter
Almond Butter Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, ground
- For the almond butter sauce: Melt butter; add lemon juice gradually and stir in ground almonds.
- Place cauliflower on center of a large tray or platter.
- Suround with green beans.
- Slice carrots into coins; butter and sprinkle mint or parsley.
- Surround green beans with carrots.
- Garnish platter with mushrooms.
- Brown buttered crumbs and spread over cauliflower.
- Place platter in an oven heated to 350F for ten minutes to heat vegetables.
- Serve with almond butter sauce or grated cheese.