Prep 4 mins
Cook 12 mins
this recipe comes from kwanzaa karamu!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 -3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4-1 cup water
- in a large bowl,combine salt & 21/2 cups flour. add 3/4 cup oil and mix well. add water little by little stirring after each addition,until dough is soft. knead dough in bowl for 5-10 minutes.
- sprinkle about 1/4 cup flour on a flat surface.take a 2-inch ball of dough and<with a floured rolling pin,roll out into a 1/8-inch-think circle the size of a saucer. repeat with remaining dough,sprinkling flat surface with flour if dough sticks.
- heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. fry chapatis 3-5 minutes per side or until brown.
- remove from pan and let drain on paper towels. fry remaining chapatis,add more oil if necessary.
- serve immediately or place in a covered container until ready to serve.