1/4 Photos of Chapati (East African Bread)
Auntie Jan's Note:
This is taken from the Congo Cookbook. Unleavened bread that is very popular and is served with many curry dishes. I am estimating the servings as I have not made this yet. It looks good and simple so I do plan on making.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1All ingredients should be allowed to come to room temperature if they have been in the refrigerator.
- 2Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- 3Slowly mix in enough water to make a thick dough.
- 4Mix in one spoonful oil.
- 5Knead dough on a cool surface for a few minutes, adding a few spoonfuls of dry flour.
- 6Return dough to the bowl, cover with a clean cloth, and let it rest for thirty minutes.
- 7Lightly grease (with cooking oil) and pre-heat a skillet or griddle.
- 8Divide the dough into orange-sized balls. Flatten them into six-inch circles. Fry them in the skillet or griddle, turning once, until each side is golden brown and spotted.
- 9Place in warm oven as they are done and serve with butter and any curry, stew or soup dish.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chapati (East African Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (26 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.3
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 388.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g