1/1 Photo of Chao Ga - Vietnamese Rice Porridge
1 hr 10 mins
Kiersten Phae's Note:
My Vietnamese fiancé absolutely loves Chao Ga. He and I edited a version we got to make it easier for our family. It's a thick rice soup. The rice gets soft and it's very comforting when sick. You can use just long grain white rice if you do not have glutinous rice. It's a great way to use leftover chicken, and sometimes I poach an egg on top after the rice has cooked to have more of a comforting feel. Sometimes you need to add more chicken stock to keep it soupy, so I check it a couple times while cooking. You can garnished with a couple of sliced Polygonum leaves, but I don't have them so I skip that part.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1419.54 ml water
- 1419.54 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml glutinous rice
- 473.18 ml long grain rice
- 236.59-473.18 ml chicken meat, shredded
- 44.37 ml fish sauce
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml poultry seasoning
- 2-4 eggs, depending on desired servings (optional)
- 29.58 ml sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1Place rice and glutinous rice in a large pot with water and stock.
- 2Bring to boil then lower heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally.
- 3Cook until rice is very soft and mixture is thick. Roughly 45-60 minutes.
- 4Add fish sauce, sugar, shredded chicken, mushrooms, and poultry seasoning.
- 5Stir Gently.
- 6If desired, to Poach eggs: add to top of the mixture and cover.
- 7Let it simmer an additional 5-10 minutes, or the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- 8Spoon porridge into individual serving bowls.
- 9Garnish with spring onion.
- 10Sprinkle with pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chao Ga - Vietnamese Rice Porridge
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.5
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.4 mg
- Sodium 785.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: