From Luscious Chocolate Desserts by Lori Longbotham. I find choc truffle cakes too dense so was happy to find this and to realise I could make it for Passover. She suggests trying the alternating layers of cocoa and confectioners' sugar to decorate other desserts as it's "simple but stunning".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 300°F.
- 2Butter and flour 9 inch spring form pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- 3Melt the chocolate with the butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of about 1.5 inches of nearly simmering water, whisking until smooth.
- 4Remove bowl from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 5Beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup of the sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large deep bowl for 4 to 5 minutes, until very thick and pale.
- 6Beat egg whites with clean beaters in another large bowl just until the whites form soft peaks when the beaters are lifted. Beat in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 7With a whisk or rubber spatua, gently fold in 1/3 of the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Then fold in 1/3 of the egg whites.
- 8Repeat, adding the chocolate and egg white mixtures alternately in thirds until all of the ingredients are combined.
- 9Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- 10Bake for about 30 minutes until the edges are firm and the centre is puffed but still a bit jiggly; do not overbake.
- 11Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 12To serve, remove sides of pan. Dust the cake with a layer of cocoa and then a layer of confectioners' sugar. Repeat with a second layer of cocoa and a final layer of sugar. Cut into thin wedges.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chanterelle's Chocolate Souffle Cake (Pesachdik)
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.8
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 239.1 mg
- Sodium 65.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g