Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was tired of seeing all of the vegetarian chili recepies saying things like 'light, low fat, and colerful.' That's not what chili is about. It's about comfort food and having something warm to eat with your freshly baked cornbread on a winder day. This chili is spicy meaty and delicious. Try it on your non-vegetarian friends and they'll think you started eating meat again.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 finely cut jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces non-alcoholic beer
- 2 cans red beans (Kidney)
- 1⁄4 cup ground meat substitute (I recomend something by Morning star)
- 4 cloves pressed garlic
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- When Boiling add the chopped jalepeno and onion.
- Cook until onions become clear.
- Add cumin, chili powder, paprika, cornmeal, sugar, oregano, cayenne pepper, ground cinnamon, white pepper, flour, cocoa, and broth seasoning.
- Cook until seasonings brown.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook for 15 minutes on high heat stirring constantly.
- Cover and let simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
This is a very interesting chili. I like the addition of the beer, and its good and 'meaty' with a nice think sauce and plenty of beans. The one thing i would change however is the spices. It is very spicy (i even used about half the amount of the hot spices called for). Also the cinnamon is very overpowering. This recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, and i only used 1 teaspoon. And still, it was the spice i tasted most. It was just sort of weird, and i would definitely omit it next time.
Very flavorful... but also VERY hot! (and I didn't even have any Jalapenos!); I'll say it had both my mouth... and my nose watering
this is a wonderfully hearty, spicy vegetarian chili. i, too, would cut the cinnamon down next time.