1/7 Photos of Channa Masala
Zeke Koch's Note:
This fabulous chickpea recipe is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions (peeled and minced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon amchoor powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 fresh, hot green chili pepper (, , minced)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet.
- 2Add onions and garlic and sauté over a medium heat until browned (3-5 minutes).
- 3Turn heat to medium-low.
- 4Add the coriander, cumin (not the roasted cumin), cayenne and turmeric.
- 5Stir for a few seconds.
- 6Add the tomatoes.
- 7Cook the tomatoes until browned lightly.
- 8Add chickpeas and a cup of water and stir.
- 9Add the roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt and lemon juice.
- 10Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- 11Remove the cover add the minced chili and ginger.
- 12Stir and cook uncovered for 30 seconds.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Channa Masala
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.0
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 678.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground roasted cumin seeds