Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This fabulous chickpea recipe is adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's classic.
Make and share this Channa Masala recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions (peeled and minced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon amchoor powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 fresh, hot green chili pepper (, , minced)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté over a medium heat until browned (3-5 minutes).
- Turn heat to medium-low.
- Add the coriander, cumin (not the roasted cumin), cayenne and turmeric.
- Stir for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes until browned lightly.
- Add chickpeas and a cup of water and stir.
- Add the roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt and lemon juice.
- Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover add the minced chili and ginger.
- Stir and cook uncovered for 30 seconds.
Awesome. Very easy to make! The best Channa Masala we have ever had. Although, I used a variation for the Amchoor and added extra tomato. It was the very best recipe that I have ever found. Variations: 1) We used Jared "home packed" tomatos and added 1 cup (16 Tablespoons, whole Roma chopped "no liquid" and strained into a measuring cup until all the extra juice was extracted "about 40 minutes") 2)1 cup of the strained tomato liquid was used instead of the water. Add extra liquid if required. Water or juice. Thank you for the best dish ever. Your friends in Canada.
I enjoyed this meal immensely. So full of flavor.
Sorry. I wasn't a fan. I found it too sour and under spiced. I prefer a deeper richer flavored channa masala with more "warm" spiced flavor of coriander, cinnamon etc. This recipe is a lighter tart version of channa masala.