Cook1 hr 40 mins
Another Dal recipe! We love trying new dal recipes to go with our Indian meals. Dal is a staple Indian dish. I found this recipe in the cookbook "Vegetarian Cooking Around the World."
- 354.88 ml chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1182.95 ml water
- 4.92 ml turmeric, ground
- 2.46 ml cumin, ground
- 4.92 ml coriander, ground
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper (optional)
- 44.37 ml margarine
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 29.58 ml cilantro, fresh leaves chopped
- salt, to taste
- Put chickpeas in a bowl. Add enough cold water to cover and soak overnight.
- To cook, drain chickpeas. Place chickpeas, water, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cayenne in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for about 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add cumin seed and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion turns golden brown.
- Add chickpeas and cooking liquid to onion mixture. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until chickpeas are tender but not mushy. Mix well.
- Place chickpeas in a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro leaves.